Innovative and solid design
- Smooth extension thanks to UHMW (ultra high molecular weight) plastic bushings.
- Reliable holding with spring loaded stainless steel pin that easily locks into holes drilled every 12″.
- Easy extension with a unique divot drilled into the inner pole ahead of each hole so you can very easily see how to align the pole to lock the pin.
- Easy release of the outboard end with a very low stretch 1/8″ (3mm) cord that can be triggered from the inboard end.
- Easy adjustment of the pole length, even when in use, because we designed the pole to have the fixed end attached to the genoa, thereby keeping the pin end closer to the mast.
- Solid retainer ring prevents the pole from being over-extended and ensures that there is a 2′ overlap between the pole segments when fully extended.
- 1.5″ and 2″ anodized 6061 aluminum tubing with 1/16″ wall thickness for great balance of strength and weight.
- UV resistant bushings slide very smoothly.
- Stainless steel 3/8″ spring-loaded pin provides a reliable lock.
- Resin reinforced end fittings with stainless steel wear liner and solid reliable spring loaded release pin.
- 6 custom machined components made to exacting standards.
- Careful multi-stage manufacturing/assembly process (machining/drilling, pre-assembly, re-machining, cleanup, anodizing, final assembly, quality assurance testing).
Compare to Forespar LC10-18 whisker pole:
Our poles fill the gap between the Forespar twist lock and line control poles. From the perspective of length, yes, the poles are equivalent. The biggest differences are:
- forespar is made from a larger diameter aluminum pole and therefore stronger
- forespar extension is controlled by pulling a line, whereas this is a stainless steel locking pin
- forespar ends are aluminum and larger, whereas ours are fiberglass reinforced resin with a stainless steel liner
- solid 18 lbs for the LC10-18 and 19 lbs for the tri-reacher
Great things about our pole:
- easier to handle because of the weight (approx 9lbs, 4kg for the 10′ pole), and therefore safer on the fore deck
- solid design with a 2′ overlap between the pole segments when fully extended, reinforced with a solid aluminum stopper ring that prevents over extension (typical forespar design only has a couple of inches of overlap)
- solidly built with top grade North American materials and excellent workmanship
- serviceable. If you have problems with your pole, you have a direct link to us, the manufacturer. We have also fixed several poles that have been damaged
- great price
- made in Ontario Canada, not Thailand
As with all things sailing, it’s a compromise. If you are a racer with lots of money and someone strong on the fore deck, go for the Forespar line control or tri-reacher. Selden also makes a great whisker pole. Otherwise, this is the pole for you.
We are in the Toronto area, and proudly Canadian. Buy your whisker pole from us.